Email inboxes are raucous–and are even more competitive than you might think. It’s no longer adequate to send one-size-fits-all email messages. You need the one-two punch of sending the right personalized message at the right time. That means binding the power of two different features within email: Email marketing and email automation. If you want to know how email marketing and email automation works, read on!
Why Do Email Automations and Email Marketing?
Email automation messages enable you to communicate with the right person, with the right message at the right time. And they’re verified to be successful tools for boosting conversions, too as a digital marketing strategy.
Experian research found that email automation transactions have 8 times more opens and clicks than any other type of email–and they can cause 6 times more revenue. Email automation is proven to drive conversion rates by as much as 50% for B2C marketers.
Because of this, more and more companies are hopping on board with email automation. It’s used by 82% of B2B and B2C companies, and revenue for marketing automation systems has increased by 60% in 2014.
How can you use email automation? Many email marketing platforms already have automation features built in.
Automated emails can:
- Act as workflows that auto-send on a schedule (like after a customer makes a purchase)
- Auto-send when definite actions have been completed by a user or at a chosen point in time (like when a user hasn’t made a purchase in 30 days)
- Act as an onboarding series (for use with new customers or new team members).
- You can have multiple workflows running at the same time, so think about what altered objectives you can complete within different series.
Personalized email marketing has high relevance for recipients–which are a major pain point for about three-fourths of email account owners. Research shows that around 74% of online consumers are irritated by messages that aren’t relevant and don’t fit their interests. This result is due to a side effect of unsegmented email lists that help sort subscribers.
Along with relevancy, segmented lists also have a swerve of other helpful effects for email marketing. The DMA reported that segmented targeted emails cause 58% of all revenues. And that some markets have noted a 760% increase in revenue from segmented campaigns.
How to Do Automations the Right Way
Plan your automation
Every business has different goals for their email marketing campaigns. But think about the methods in which you currently use email messaging. And also think how you’d ideally like to use it in the future. From here, you can start to break down a mass list into smaller, more appropriate lists. And then, map out your plan for segmentation.
Think about categorizing contacts by:
- Demographics (gender, age, job title, geographic location)
- Purchase type (specific product categories)
- General interests (user-indicated topical interests, like special events)
Create awesome email subject lines
Emails with interesting subject lines are more likely to get opened, according to recent research. This is why you have to craft our good subject lines that are compelling enough to get clicked.
So, how do you create awesome email subject lines? Here are some tips:
- Keep it short and simple. The subject lines will most often get cut off on mobile devices. We recommend subject lines with fewer than 50 characters.
- If possible, use personalization tokens like names or locations in the subject. This builds rapport with the recipient. Say something like, “Joe Doe, we really want to share this…”
- Tell them what’s inside your email. Say something like, “your free ebook is inside!”
- Use action verbs. Email subject lines are also like call-to-actions, in that they will inspire people to click. Email subject lines with action verbs are more intriguing and enticing to click
- Email subjects lines should make people feel special and give them a sense of belongingness. This gives them a sense of exclusivity and the effect can be magical. Say, “My gift to you,” or “An exclusive offer for you only”
Create useful content
Why create useful content? Here are some of the benefits of creating good email content.
- Drive traffic and conversions. You should send potential customers to various locations on your website like a specific landing page or product page so that you will increase traffic and conversions
- Be a resource. Your customers will think that you are a resource so that they will learn to trust and patronize your brand.
- To give people what they want. Your customers will want to learn more about brands so you have to give them ideas through content
- Content is shareable. If customers share your content, this will help market your product
What types of content should you include in your email? Here are some examples
- List Articles. These are a list of ideas that are relevant and applicable to your customers. Examples would be tips or ideas
- Infographics. Infographics are images that have useful content in them. They are one of the most shared content nowadays
- How-to articles. This type of content satisfies the hunger of the customer for more information. You can tell your customers how to use your product or troubleshoot some problems.
- Brand awareness. This type of content teaches customers more about your brand or product.
- In-depth content. This includes customer guides, white papers or ebooks
Do viewer segmentation
Some email platforms (such as Campaign Monitor) will enable you to build segments based on rules and parameters you set.
You can build as few or as many different segments as you like. But, each new segment should have a conversion-oriented objective.
If you want to build detailed segments, you’ll need to gather more detailed information from subscribers during opt-in. Add a few extra fields (like job title, address, etc.) that go past name. And email address to get the data you need in order to accurately segment.
How to place upsells and promotions
You can actually sell products on your emails. Here are some ways on how to do this:
- Sell a product on the Thank You page of the opt-in. Once people opt-in they are also interested in your brand and on your other products
- Recycle your promotions. If you had a popular email campaign before, you can recycle that promotion. However, limit this to only a couple of times a year
- Upsell in your email by offering them more expensive products. An example is, “Since you have downloaded our free ebook, perhaps you would like to buy the complete guide here”
- Cross-sell in your email by showing customers a great add-on product or other products that will compliment what they have purchased.
- Email abandoned shopping carts. You can email those who abandoned their shopping carts on your online store so that they will once again be reminded of your products.
Make it personal
Many businesses and organizations have fallen into the pattern of sending bulk emails that don’t utilize personalization. But Experian recently reported that applying this slight change had a dramatic effect on open rates.
Across almost every industry studied, containing the recipient’s name in the email subject line increased open rates–some by as much as 42%. Other research echoed the success of including a recipient’s first name in the subject line. They reported that emails with personalized subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened.
As long as you’ve gathered the first name from those who opt-in to your email automation list, personalization takes seconds. Most email providers (like Campaign Monitor, MailChimp, AWeber, etc.) assist you to insert a recipient’s first name. This happens by inserting a custom field into the subject line.
Start launching more precise email campaigns that align with the interests of your various lists. Through website opt-ins and online purchase tracking, you can now send highly appropriate information about your specific products. You can send them to people who’ve been most likely to be fascinated by that information.
Stay connected for more email marketing tips
Have questions? I would love to answer them.
Happy emailing guys