With 2.19 billion monthly active users, Facebook allows marketers to tap into a vast pool of potential leads with targeted messages. With lead ads, you can collect leads for your business through the most popular social media platform.
Lead ads are a type of ad that allows you to run lead generation campaigns on Facebook and Instagram and make it easy for your customers to submit their information to you using any device. These kinds of ads are perfect for mobile users, which make up the bulk of people you will reach from your Facebook ads campaigns. With a few taps of the thumb, your followers can submit their details.
Unlike other ad types, lead ads include an “instant form” that lets people show their interest in a product or service by filling in the form with their details and allowing a business to follow up with them. The form fields are pre-filled with profile data where possible, and the form itself loads instantly because it’s part of the native application.
In this article, I’ll be explaining why you should be running Facebook lead ads and what you need to do to set them up.
What Information Can You Gather
On your lead ads instant form, you can request email addresses or contact information from people who click on your ad. You can also use them to collect sign-ups for newsletters, price estimates, follow-up calls, and business information.
You can even ask people custom questions like:
Short answer – ask a question that leaves room for people to provide a one-line open answer.
Multiple choices – give people different options to choose from. With this option, you will type in your questions and possible answers. We recommend using ranges to shorten the number of options (e.g. use 2001-2004 as one option instead of 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004). You may also leave the field blank for open-ended questions.
Conditional – under multiple choice, create a set of questions with conditional answers that change based on how someone answered a previous question.
Store locator – let people search for a nearby store or location. The store locator uses the locations that have been set up for your Page or business. You can select the source of your locations from your Page or business on Facebook, or connect to an API.
Appointment scheduling – let people request a date and time to make an appointment with your business or schedule a store visit.
Why You Should Use Facebook Lead Ads
There are many reasons to run Face lead ads, including the fact that they are reasonably priced. Facebook charges on a cost per impression basis, so your average cost per lead is your ad spend divided by the number of leads you generate.
There are many other benefits, including:
Optimized for mobile: Pre-populated forms make data submission quick and easy, which means potential customers can share their details even when they’re on the move.
Fewer drop-offs lead to more conversions: The simple and easy nature of lead ads means people are more likely to finish and send forms, giving you a higher volume of people to retarget.
Easily reach the people that matter to your business: People that have submitted forms qualify as a “warm audience.” This audience type is important for future retargeting and can be easily encouraged towards conversion.
Forms can be customized: This means that you can request specific information relative to your business, streamlining your sales process and allowing you to identify high-quality leads easily.
CRM integration: You can sync your lead form ads to your CRM for immediate follow-up.
Lead ads have certain requirements and recommendations that are often different to other ad types on Facebook. You will need
- List of info you want collected in contact form
- Required info or fields for managing your leads
- Info needed in intro section
- Text and video images for your ad
How to Create a Facebook Lead Ad
You can create a lead ad from your Page or from Ads Manager:
From Your Page:
- Go to your business’ Page.
- Click Publishing tools at the top.
- Click Forms in the left-hand drop-down menu.
- Click + Create at the top
- Next, choose whether to create:
A new form with all new information. If you choose this option, click Next at the bottom right-hand side of the screen, then continue setting up.
Duplicate an existing form, which you’ve already created and added this question to it. If you choose this option, search your forms to select the one that you want to modify and click Next at the bottom right-hand side of the screen. Then skip to step 9 to continue setup.
- In the section that says Untitled at the top, click the pencil icon and give your instant form a name.
Tip: Save your progress while you’re setting up your instant form by clicking the Save Button in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Under the Content tab, click Form type to customize your form depending on the goal of your lead generation campaign.
- Click the Intro (optional) section and toggle the button on to add an introduction screen to your lead ad.
- Next, click Questions. Add a custom Headline (optional).
- Under ‘What information would you like to ask for?’ you’ll see that Email address and Full name are already ticked off. You can click Show more options if you want to ask for more info.
- Under Custom question (optional) click + Add Custom Question. You can add up to 15 custom questions.
- If you’re modifying an existing instant form, you can click Finish in the top right-hand corner to finish adding the appointment booking question. If you’re in the process of creating a new instant form, you can click Save and continue the steps below to complete your lead ad
- Click Thank you screen, where you can add a custom screen to help keep your leads engaged after they submit their form.
Note: The text limit is 60 characters in the Description body and 30 characters each for the Headline and Button text fields.
- Click the arrows at the bottom of your Form preview and make sure that your complete form looks as you want it to.
- Click Finish to complete your form. Alternatively, you can click Save if you want to finish later.
From Ads Manager
- Go to your Ads Manager.
- In Ads Manager: Click + Create in the top-left.
- Choose whether you want to set up with quick creation or guided creation (the following steps will show you how to set up in guided creation).
- Select the Lead Generation objective.
Note: If you are trying to collect leads using a Facebook Canvas instant form, you can also use the Brand Awareness, Reach or Traffic objectives.
- In the Page section, choose the Page that you’d like to use to create lead ads. Click View Terms. Review the Lead Ad Terms of Service and select I Agree to Terms and Conditions.
- When you’ve completed the last step, click Continue.
- Choose an Ad name and under Identity, select your Page and attach your Instagram account, if applicable.
- Select an ad format then add images or a video to your ad. Fill in your ad’s headline, text and add a call-to-action button.
- Click Show advanced options to add a Facebook Pixel if you have one.
- In the Instant Form section, you can click + New form to create a new instant form.
- If you are continuing with a new form, give your instant form a name where it says Untitled form.
- Under the Content tab, click the Intro (optional) section and toggle the button on to add an introduction screen to your lead ad.
Tip: Preview your lead ad throughout the creation process in the right-hand pane.
- Follow steps 9 to 16 from Page set up instructions.
Download Leads from Lead Ad
Leads can be collected through a CSV export from your Page, downloaded from Ads Manager, requested through the API or accessed from some CRM partners (Ecwid, Zoho Creator, Marketo, etc.). However, only Page admins can download leads and business admins that have access permission assigned via Leads Access manager.
Lead data is also only accessed by a Page administrator. Facebook will be able to access and use the information submitted by users subject to their Data Policy. You’ll have to act quickly on the information you gather, as leads are only kept for 90 days!
Increase Performance with These Tips
Optimize the Algorithm – The algorithm needs data to optimize everything. Ensure you budget enough daily for 10+ actions (leads) in a 24 hour period. Facebook uses a rolling 24 hour or 7-day window of data to optimize the audience you reach, so the more data the better.
Budget tricks – If your budget doesn’t stretch far enough to get 10+ leads, try either acquiring leads higher up the funnel so that you have more actions per day, or shortening the start and end dates time of your campaign (therefore squeezing your budget into fewer days). You don’t necessarily have to run ads the whole month.
Use Engagement Audiences – Setup Engagement Audiences for people who have dropped off the form.
Creative types – The Lead Ads call to action works with lots of formats. You can try some short videos, carousels or a combination of the two.
Creative rotation – Over time, pause the worst performing ad, and replace it with a new creative. As customers get bored of the same ad creative, this ensures it stays fresh.
While Facebook lead ads option is helpful for lead generation, the benefits go beyond that. The customizable nature of Facebook lead ads allows you to use the format for multiple purposes, whether that’s to acquire a newsletter distribution list, book call-backs, manage quote requests, or for event registrations.
If you’re ready to learn everything there is to know about marketing online, then enroll in our Digital Marketing School today! You can also follow us on YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook for helpful content, and check out our blog for more FREE training!